Thursday, December 3, 2009

The 11th Day of Christmas

A Man Alone
The alarm went off and I forced myself up

I showered and dressed and poured coffee in my cup

There’s no worse feeling than waking all alone

No plans for Christmas is all that I own

I thought I had work, and went in at ten

I’ll maybe wear red and then visit Big Ben

England could be that place I call home

But not when my family’s buried in Rome

Tis the inevitable season to be reminded of pain

Contemplating the meaning of life once again

That night, without care, I just walked around town

And passed a small church that lifted my frown

How could I forget something special like this?

The baby, the shepherds are filled with God’s bliss

Something inside me said, “Cheer up, don’t pout”

This is what Christmas is truly about

3 comments:

  1. These are awesome Chris. I don't know how you do it, I couldn't write a poem to save my life. I look forward to reading the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is probably going to sound silly, but I take it these are all separate poems--not one big epic Christmas poem?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is one big epic Christmas poem... but each day is a different stanza. They don't directly connect like a story, but they are all related.

    ReplyDelete