Monday, March 22, 2010

"Meditation"

Rene Descartes (reh-nay day-cart)
(1596-1650)
French
Went to college from age 8 to 16
Studied logic, philosophy, and mathematics
His work "Meditations" was published in 1641*

MEDITATIONS ON THE FIRST PHILOSOPHY IN WHICH THE EXISTENCE OF GOD AND THE DISTINCTION BETWEEN MIND AND BODY ARE DEMONSTRATED

  • He searched for an undoubted truth. So he used the method of doubt. Anything he could possible doubt for any reason, he discarded. This is important to understand, because this is why he threw off using God as a basis for any of his truth. He, as well as I, believed that we know God via faith not fact.
  • He discards any knowledge we get from sense perception, because ours senses can deceive us (like how a stick looks like it bends when you stick it in water).
  • He discards knowledge from the senses because he could be insane, and imagining everything he sees, feels, etc.
  • He discards knowledge from the senses because he could be dreaming.
  • He doubts the sciences because they "are very dubious and uncertain" but verifies mathematical truths because they are true whether or not he is dreaming.
  • He discards knowledge from the senses because God could be an evil genius who "has employed his while energies in deceiving me."

  • Thus he concludes that the mind is more knowable than the body.
  • He doubts everything he sees, and so discards it.
  • Then he says, "I myself, am I knot at least something... was I not then likewise persuaded that I did not exist... of a surety I myself did exist since I persuaded myself of something... then without a doubt I exist also if [God] deceives me, and let him deceive me as much as he will, he can never cause me to be nothing so long as I think that I am something.
  • Thus he concludes "I am, I exist, is necessarily true each time that I pronounce it, or that I mentally conceive it."
We are more familiar with I think therefore I am... but there it is.

COMMENTS
I always considered Descartes to be a heathen because he discarded God as a source of truth, but according to his method of doubt, it fits fine. I am good with it now.
In the beginning of his meditation, he stated that he waited until he was retired--removed from all the passions of youth, distractions and ambitions, etc--to start on his journey of finding indubitable truth. This makes a lot of sense. I feel like a lot of these concepts would be easier to hold on to if i wasn't in the place Descartes specifically avoided before meditating on such topics.
I love his method of doubt, and all the ideas he had. I recognize it wasn't perfect, but i still enjoy his thoughts. After all they are, simply put, meditations.
I doing this summery/endnotes because it helps with my studies (I have an exam tomorrow), and it fits perfectly under why I write this blog: (one of the reasons being) to write about what i think about what i read. Any thoughts on Descartes?

5 comments:

  1. Interestingly enough, I was recently reading City of God, and Augustine--hundreds of years before Descartes--speaks of very much this same subject. "I am most certain that I am, and I know and delight in this...if I am deceived, I am. For he who is not, cannot be deceived; and if I am deceived, by this same token I am." It makes me wonder: was Descartes influenced by Augustine's writings? Anyway, that wasn't really much of a thought on Descartes. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pish posh. No need to apologize. That is wonderful insight. I imagine Augustine was an influence on Descartes, as Augustine has probably been an influence on everybody (whether they know it or now) and the educated are simply more aware of his influence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I don't understand is how he knows that mathematical truths are true whether or not he's dreaming. Couldn't his senses deceive him in that regard also?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, because mathematical knowledge (truth) comes from reason, not our senses (or experience).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couple of months late, but for the last while I've been reading "Descartes's Secret Notebook" by Aczel. Personally, I think Descartes was true to his faith at all times.

    Yes, he questions God with doubt, but he professed to be a devout Catholic. He also had some mysticism influences (it was mostly due to the time period he lived in).

    I plan to read "La Géométrie" sometime to get a better in sight on the way Descartes saw mathematics.

    ReplyDelete